4/15/14

World Class Bully

This past Sunday, a South Euclid , Ohio resident who had been convicted of bullying carried out his sentence by sitting outside on a street corner holding a sign that said he bullied disabled children. The sign said: "I AM A BULLY! I pick on children that are disabled, and I am intolerant of those that are different from myself. My actions do not reflect an appreciation for the diverse South Euclid community that I live in."

If only the World Court had the power to convict and  sentence abusive world leaders who bully their neighbors, then the Ukraine crisis might be solved. Imagine Vladimir Putin holding a sign that said: " I AM A BULLY! I pick on countries that are weak, and I am intolerant of those who do not share my plan for Russian domination. My actions deserve the condemnation of the free world."

A fantasy? Yes! Too simplistic? Yes! Still, there must be an alternative to war in order to humble the Putins and Assads of the world. The new weapon of choice seems to be economic sanctions. Will they work? I doubt it. In the end violence will be the weapon of choice as it has been for the ages.

No comments: