4/17/14

About Music

This evening I turned the radio on hoping that my favorite classical radio station was broadcasting some Easter music. Some Gregorian chants would have been a treat. Instead of chants, Handel's Messiah or Bach's St. Matthew's Passion I was treated to Passover songs hosted by Itzhak Perlman. Beautiful! I couldn't ask for anything more inspirational and moving.

I must confess that when it comes to religious holidays, I'm a freeloader. I do not practice any religion but I do get my fill of all the trappings that go along with the holidays - especially the music. It occurred to me this evening that if all Christians and Muslims were forced to listen to music like I heard tonight, anti-semitism would be a thing of the past. Music has the power to instill tranquility and in turn tolerance. Tolerance has the power to heal all wounds. We should heed the words of Buddha: "The worst thing you can do to your soul is to tell someone their faith is wrong."

As I listen to Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 , I'm at peace with the world. Dare I hope that the world will one day find its way to peace?


No comments: