1/6/13

Wake me up for Downton Abbey

The hell with the NFL playoffs this Sunday. Downton Abbey returns for its 3rd season tonight so I need a nap this afternoon to ensure that I'm wide awake at 9 this evening. Once uom a time I could take a nap, wake up after a few minutes and still catch a game.  Nowadays naps are no longer naps - they're  an afternoon's sound sleep.

I must admit that I'm a bit ashamed to be a part of this Downtown Abbey craze.The misspelling was intentional - I don't know why but I prefer Downtown to Downton. Downton sounds too English. The High Primal constantly reprimands me for my reference to Downtown Abbey. So why am I a fan of Downtown ... er .... Downton Abbey. It's because of Bates, Lord Grantham's valet.

I could care less about the trials and tribulations of Lord and Lady Grantham, Lady Mary, Lady Sybil or any of the other fancy dressed ladies and gentlemen lording it over a mansion full of servants. By the way, they do this without a having a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.

Back to Bates. I'm hooked on Bates. The poor bastard found the love of his life - another servant, Anna Smith- while still married to the scourge of his life. Things went quite well. The scourge dies, Bates married Anna and it looked like they would live happily ever after. Not so. Bates ended up in prison convicted of murdering his ex- wife ( with a poison pie). In my opinion his defense lawyer, or more correctly his solicitor, blew the case. The last I saw of Bates he was lovingly talking to Anna while behind bars. I couldn't understand the conversation but I wouldn't be surprised if they were talking about an appeal.

I hope Season 3 vindicates Bates. I'll probably have to watch most of the Downtown - damn, there I go again - Downton Abbey episodes to find out, but it will be worth it (only if Bates leaves the slammer, tells Lord Grantham to kiss his ass and gets back to where he left off with Anna).

I'm wasting time and so are you if you got this far. Time for that nap. Downtown Abbey comes on at 9:00 PM. The High Primal promised to wake me up at 8:45 as long as I promise to drop the Downtown Abbey crap.

No comments: