5/20/12

It's Who We Are

Give me your tired, your poor!
The  debate over immigration policies is becoming another "third rail" when it comes to political positions. I'm sure most political strategists would advise their clients, " do not touch it with a ten foot pole". Although the son of immigrants , I must confess that at times I find myself thinking that the endless flow of immigrants, legal and illegal, into this country must be legislated into a dribble. All it takes is to remind myself of the inscription on the Statue of Liberty, for the liberal flow of immigrants unto our shores , regardless of color or religion, to make sense. It's who we are - a nation of immigrants. Hopefully a nation of immigrants dedicated to living their lives as Americans.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tossed,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.
-Emma Lazarus

No comments: