7/27/11

Liar, liar - your pants are on fire!

Recently I sat at the keyboard and started to tap out a profound post. I found myself using the words “not too far from the truth” which unleashed a torrent of thoughts. I wondered, if something is not too far from the truth, does that mean a lie can be considered the truth if it suits one purpose. Is that what is called a white lie as opposed to a complete falsehood? Are falsehoods and the truth related?

Fortunately there is a wealth of information about truth and falsehoods. Some of it is true and some must be taken with a grain of salt. Most of  what I have written is attributed to great men too numerous to list (not quite the truth, too lazy to list them is not too far from the truth). I have assembled these sayings to suit my purposes. Questioning these purposes will only invoke the response, “ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies”.  Not that I would want to lie. I can but I prefer not to. I swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God.

It is always the false that makes you suffer, the false desires and fears, the false values and ideas, the false relationships between people. Abandon the false and you are free of pain; truth makes happy, truth liberates but lies make the world go around.

Consider this, a lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. A lie may have speed, but after putting on its shoes, the truth has endurance. This would lead one to conclude that the truth lives forever. Not necessarily. While a lie is speedily being spread throughout the world, it becomes the truth. Truth after all is obscure. Falsehood on the other hand is so established, that, unless we love the truth, we cannot know it. Loving the truth can be difficult, whereas embracing falsehoods is much more facile.

Ask yourself why peace in our world is so elusive. The answer is that peace demands the most heroic labor and the most difficult sacrifice. It demands greater heroism than war. It demands greater fidelity to the truth and a perfect purity of conscience. Lofty goals. Traits found in very few people. Peace will be elusive!

There are those who believe that it's essential to tell the truth at all times. This will reduce life's pain. Lying distorts reality, therefore; all forms of distorted thinking must be corrected. Who is to judge what is distorted thinking. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth even if it‘s a lie. The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. However, the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. Wow! Confused? Peace will be elusive!

It has also been said that a generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things, which renew humanity. I’ll bet your bottom dollar that humanity is still rusting away.  Peace will be elusive!

At the onset I hoped I absolved myself of any attempts at plagiarism. Let me lay my cards on the table and not beat about the bush. If you find all this tough to swallow feel free to shout, “liar, liar, your pants are on fire”. Be advised, sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

1 comment:

Charles Leck said...

So help me God, you're a good man and a good blogger. I find it a pleasure to keep coming here to read your thoughts.

But for goodness sake the Indians made five errors last night. What is that all about? Is this the same team the was the best in baseball for a couple of months? Chas