8/4/10

Cherry Picking The Bill Of Rights

The Second Amendment to our Constitution has the words " the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed". Our society prefers a strict interpretation of these words and with the aid of the powerful NRA , thwarts all attempts to implement any meaningful gun control legislation. The First Amendment has these words, " Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". Many in our society prefer to ignore the words " the free exercise thereof" when it comes to Islam. Specifically protests are being raised concerning plans to build a mosque close to the 9/11 Ground Zero site.

 In one case we stoutly defend a freedom. In the other, we are quick to deny a freedom. If we are going to cherry pick the Bill Of Rights, a stronger case can be made for allowing a place of worship to be built, than allowing the proliferation of guns in our society.

I hate guns and the loss of human life that they cause. I do not hate Islam. The loss of human lives in the 9/11 attack was not due to the Muslim religion ; it was due to some demented religious leaders. I prefer not to exercise my so called right to bear arms and I do not respect those who bear arms with mayhem in mind. I prefer not to be a Muslim, but I do respect the right of others to be Muslims. I do condemn the gun bearer and the Muslim who chooses to abuse the laws of human decency.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen, brother! Amen! Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!
Chas