11/8/12

What comes after trillion?

The election is over. Much of the election rhetoric will go into the trash can. Not so with our debt. The last I checked the United States debt clock, we were at $16,243,765,800,000 and counting. That's a pretty hefty sum. Lets leave the pretty out - its a very hefty sum. I believe that my share is over $187,000. Exactly how I handle my share is not very clear to me. Some prominent economists say that we should not worry about the debt. That's fine with me. Besides Washington knows that you can't get blood out of a stone. I hope China knows that also.

 The pundits are predicting that reducing the debt will be high on Obama's to-do list. I keep hearing that he would like to squeeze some rich folks for a few more bucks in taxes. The Republicans ,however, are planning to pull a Charlton Heston "I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands". That can get a little messy but it's worth a try. The only other viable alternative is to conduct a garage sale featuring some of our states. I'm sure Cuba could borrow enough money from Russia to make a decent offer for Florida ( providing it finishes counting Election 2012 votes). Mexico's drug lords would be sure to go after Texas. Alaska would command a few trillion from Canada.

There must be better solutions to this debt problem than those I have offered.  Raising taxes on the wealthy deserves a serious look. Putting people to work at decent wages would go a long way for some significant debt reduction. Then there is the challenge of learning how to defend ourselves without destroying our economy. One thing for sure, there is no solution which will please everyone. We are all going to have to learn how to spell sacrefise ( S-A-C-R-I-F-I-C-E, you fool!).

What happens if the debt clock hits $999,999,999,999,999? Will we be talking a quadtrillion? No way, we'll be talking Chinese.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wait til we get to a gaazillion before you get worried!