3/1/12

Buddha Is Back



The Great Buddha of Kamakura
Back in 1958, I had the good fortune to make a business trip to Japan. Of course, a little sight seeing had to be part of the trip. I have never forgotten my visit to Kamakura, where on the grounds of the Kotokuin Temple I stood in awe before The Great Buddha. The bronze statue of Amida Buddha is 13.35 meters tall. The picture with this post does not do justice to The Great Buddha but I’ve included it for sentimental reasons. It is mine as amateurish as it is.

Many years ago I had a Buddha statue in my home. Several moves took a toll on Buddha and he departed our household. I don't know where he is now, but I  suspect  that he found Nibbana.


 On a visit to the chiropractor’s office recently I noticed that his waiting room had a number of Buddha figurines. Nostalgia took over and I decided that Buddha had to grace my home again. After searching for awhile I came across a statue to my liking and it now graces the mantel of my fireplace where it catches the rays of the afternoon sun. Buddha is back!

The Small Buddha of Aberdeen
So what's all this preoccupation with Buddha? In the words of today's youngsters - he's cool! I have also discovered that Buddha is a political strategist. But that is material for another post.

 In the meantime the following is worth meditating upon:

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act upon them?

No comments: