6/10/09

I've become a dinosaur

Last week's TIME cover story featured Twitter. After reading the article and taking a good look at my communication tools, I reluctantly concluded that I've morphed into a dinosaur.

If Twitter is changing the way we live and showing us the future of innovation , it completely bypassed Tony. Blogging is my game , not Twittering - and that makes me a dinosaur. Worse yet, I have yet to send a text message! Photos? I still rely on a camera that can't get on the internet or place a long distance call.

This is a sad state of affairs for someone who spent his entire working years in engineering and manufacturing. I hardly recognize myself. Having cut my teeth on diodes, transistors and LED's, it's a real comedown.

What really bothers me is that none of this bothers me. The bottom line is that remaining relatively anonymous in this age of a communication revolution suits me fine . Don't get me wrong , I tried to twitter but ended up being a twitter dropout. I even toyed with Facebook. When I mentioned the latter to my son, the response was "Why?" That ended that. My Space? I have all the space I need.

Breaking news! Apple has introduced a $99 Iphone! Now that may bring me into the twenty-first century, but I'll wait a while longer, Tracfone may offer an equally smart phone.

4 comments:

Mother Tesch said...

Several months ago, I tried my hand at Facebook, on the urging of a friend.
My grandson called me and was so unhappy with the idea. He said he could not have a "friend" on facebook with a birthdate of 1939.
needlaess to say I had to delete myself.
Dinosaurs Unite!!

Mother Tesch said...

I don't spell well after my bedtime of 8:30 P.M. Isn't that the mandatory time for sleep as a dinosaur?

Tony said...

Mother Tesch, glad to have company. Unfortunately dinosaurs make their own rules.

Erin O'Brien said...

You are way cool, Tony and I know what I'm talking about.