5/1/14

This is for the birds

Mayday! Mayday! We're all messed up! A little bird told me that today is the day we celebrate labor but he was wrong. The little fellow has a bad GPS and thought he was in Europe.

If we are such a good friend of the European Union why do we celebrate Labor Day on the first Monday of September rather than today? A more relevant question is how long will it be before the Republicans and the Tea Party weaken the labor movement so much that a Labor Day celebration will become irrelevant?

When I came up with this post, I had no intent of cutting a hog in the ass. I just  wanted to make note of a day which honors people who dirty their hands while working ( I know, I know, the wolfs of Wall Street have dirty hands also). Besides that, it would be nice to start off the month with a post. I decided to kill two birds with one stone and take a flier. As it turns out, the early bird did not get the worm. A post about May Day falls flat. Its just not much of a holiday in these parts. On May 1st we'd prefer to celebrate the start of Spring weather, plant some geraniums, dance around the maypole and start making plans for that barbecue or baseball game on Memorial Day.

The best that can be said for this post is that a post in the hand is worth two in the bush.  If I had to rate it, I would give it the bird.


No comments: