5/14/13

Will Nero Fiddle While Rome Burns

There is enough in the daily headlines to make one scream, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore" (Peter Finch in the 1976 movie Network). One recent headline, Heat - Trapping Gas Passes Milestone, Raising Fears, was upsetting enough to make one scream, "Stop the world, I want to get off". The headline appeared in a New York Times article which reported:

The level of the most important heat-trapping gas in the atmosphere, carbon dioxide, has passed a long-feared milestone, scientists reported Friday, reaching a concentration not seen on the earth for millions of years.

I'm fearful that we are not ready to make the commitment to effectively reverse this deadly trend. President Kennedy had the chutzpah to get us into space. I hope that President Obama has the chutzpah to get us back to earth. I hope President Obama has the balls to put together the meaningful programs required to reverse the carbon dioxide trend. I hope that we will give him our unqualified support.  I hope that it is not too late.

(The forgoing admittedly was written out of frustration. Realistically I'm afraid that an offensive against carbon dioxide levels will have to wait for the Administration to fight its defensive battles concerning Benghazi, IRS blunders, Justice Department seizure of AP phone records and Republican vendettas. The danger from rising carbon dioxide levels must reach a crisis before politics puts it on the front burner. In the meantime Nero must fiddle while Rome burns. )

No comments: