11/4/09

Why can't I make hay

Having undergone quadruple heart by-pass surgery as well as carotid artery surgery recently, I thought that my experience would provide me with mounds of material to write a humorous post about my hospital stay and even a post extolling the skill of surgeons at the Cleveland Clinic. In keeping with the times I now had voluminous bills which could attest to the high cost of health care.

There was nothing funny about my hospital stay, the surgery lived up to its billing and it was expensive. I'm home healing with the aid of my high primal thinker, I'm thankful for the skill of the surgeons at the Clinic and I'm thankful for that public option thing called Medicare as well as the health insurance earned after forty years of service in a major corporation.

So why can't I make blogging hay out of an experience aching to tell its story? Because thoughts about mortality keep running thru my mind. Major surgery can do this - some call it the blues or depression, I call it facing reality.

The reality is that an old clunker can be repaired only so many times before it heads for the scrap heat. Having said that I must admit that I'm not ready for the scrap heat and will take every advantage of my major overhaul while keeping in mind the scrap heap is inevitable. In the meantime I'll enjoy a great and caring family and my high primal thinker.

Never did find out when discharged from the hospital when the old ticker will be able to absorb a Bourbon Manhattan on the rocks.

( They say that open heart surgery can affect brain functions for awhile. Maybe I should have waited to resume blogging but whoever said you need a well oiled brain to blog?)

1 comment:

Erin O'Brien said...

I am so glad you are home with Marge. I also have faith that your ticker and tubes are fixed so good that there are many bourbon Manhattans in your future!

Take good care, Tony.

ps: my word verification is flitshee. this means something ...