9/5/09

Political concerns are pre-empting Obama back-to-school speech in some school districts

Some school officials have decided not to show students President Barack Obama's live back to school speech on Tuesday, September 8th. Typical of the explanation offered by superintendents is , "In my heart I wanted to air it and want to believe that it is nothing more than a motivational speech but In the end, I made a decision based on what I thought was best for the schools in a politically charged environment." ( What he meant to say is , "If I air the speech, I'm afraid that conservatives will not vote for my next levy". )

A politically charged environment? We are talking about the President of The United States! Yes, he is a politician - that's how you become President. Yes, some of his policies are controversial - not surprising for a democracy. Yes, there are those who would like to see him fail even to the extent of misrepresenting policies and fomenting rage about them. Should all this translate into shielding students from viewing and listening to their President talk about studying hard and staying in school? It shouldn't, but it is happening.

Why? It appears to me that a small group of crazies have taken over the Republican party and are implementing a strategy of vilifying Obama and his agenda at every turn. They are being very effective in steering up hatred and anger. Their actions come dangerously close to stirring up mob rule. I have heard that some of this is racist. I'd like to believe that it is the reaction of a poor loser and not racism but I am beginning to have doubts. In some respects I'm beginning to believe there is an American style "Taliban" in the making.

As a next step, perhaps our school superintendents will start reviewing the text books used in their schools. When they find politically charged material and they will, they can save the book for the beloved big game bonfires. Let's hope that The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of The United States States are spared a fiery death.

1 comment:

Erin O'Brien said...

Tony, I am so disgusted by this I could spit.

They just hate Obama for no damn good reason and they'll do ANYTHING to make him fail. It's disgusting.

Keep fighting the good fight ...