7/28/09

What's a "strange drawer" ?

Recently I was looking for a place to store a cherry pitter. I questioned my high primal thinker who in turn instructed me to put it in the strange drawer. A strange drawer? Junk drawers are part of any normal household as I have chronicled before, but what in hell is a strange drawer?



It turns out that a strange drawer is home to bunch of kitchen items which are strangers to each other but are not ready for the junk drawer. The following can be found among the strangers :


  • barbecue tools
  • panini maker part ( works fine without it)
  • recipes waiting for their day on the stove
  • hot plates
  • shrimp diviner
  • lobster and crab leg cracker
  • frosting spatulas
  • salad bowl utensils
  • appliance cord
  • cough drops ?????

What separates a strange drawer from a junk drawer is organization Each of the strange items has its place in a drawer organizer. Unlike junk drawer items, strange drawer items live in apparent harmony.

I did track one item, an appliance cord, for several days. I wasn't sure what it belonged to but there it was taking up space in the strange drawer. One day, I noticed it was gone. I was informed that I could find it in the junk drawer. The high primal thinker had determined that the cord was an alien item which had illegally entered the the strange drawer and had to be deported. Besides that, she did not have the slightest clue as to what it was for. I concluded from this episode that items in the strange drawer were only one step away from being classified as junk.

All in all we are very fortunate. Two junk drawers, a strange drawer and still enough space for essential kitchen ware.

No comments: