6/24/09

Time Warner is holding me hostage

I have a problem, actually a lot of problems but one in particular. I’m lost in the wilderness of cable television pricing.

For years cable service was easily understood . There was basic service and premium service. You paid for what you got, then enjoyed the annual price increases for which there was little explanation other than “our service has improved to the extent that we can command a higher price”.

The High Primal Thinker and I enjoy old movies, especially the offerings on Turner Classic Movies. About a year ago the only way we could get TCM was to subscribe to digital service for an extra ten bucks a month ( TCM later became part of the basic package with no increase in price but I wasn’t paying attention). Actually it was more than ten bucks a month. It was necessary to rent a digital converter and a remote for another eight bucks a month. Oh well, we now had good entertainment.

In the past year, two events made the presence of a digital converter box in our home overkill. The first was the purchase of a new TV set with of all things a digital tuner. Secondly all the TV transmissions converted from analog to digital. Great, my digital converter box was superfluous. All I had to do was return it and save eight bucks a month.

I ventured into the jungle of customer service. Incidentally if the C.I.A is looking for a new form of torture they should consider the endless commercials Time Warner offers up as they put you on endless hold as you try to reach the customer service representative that another customer service rep referred you to.

To make a long story short, I eventually was informed that I could return the box and the remote, and yes the eight dollar rental would be removed from my bill. Without missing a beat the rep added that my monthly charge for cable service would go up about ten dollars a month. It would be cheaper to keep the box and pay the rent!

I couldn’t believe my ears and asked for an explanation. Get this, with the box I had access to hundreds of channels but without the box I would be limited to 76 channels. The bottom line was that I was downgrading my service which would negate a discount I was receiving ( which was news to me). I would have to pay list price for the basic service.

What it all boils down to is that I have a TV set with a digital tuner hooked up to a digital converter box. Of course I can receive many more channels with the box, but I’m not addicted to channel surfing. I don’t need the damn box but I must pay for it until June of 2010 ( another rep told me the discount would expire in September of 2009). No matter, on general principles I’m going to disconnect the box, store it in a safe place and return it when Time Warner inflates my bill either in September or next June.

End of story? Not quite. I’m planning a visit to one of their centers where I can talk face to face with a rep and possibly gain my freedom from that monstrous Time Warner digital converter box.

I feel much better! Thanks for bearing with me. I've got to get back to my TV, "A Night At The Opera" is on.

3 comments:

Earl Tesch said...

My friend, you need only to perform one task to see your level of customer service improve dramatically.

Just call and say, "Dish Network." My experience with Time Warner is that they will make many exceptions if it means they will keep your business.

ps. Rather than just the threat, I would suggest you DO make the switch to satellite. It's betterer.

Tony said...

Thanks, will look into it.

Erin O'Brien said...

It's Cox in my neighborhood. And oh, how they torque me!