2/23/09

More About Best Friends

Next to my spouse my computer is my best friend. I doubt that she would appreciate this type of competition but I know she appreciates the hours I spend at the computer rather then being underfoot. Contemplating the marvels of the computer I can’t help but think back to 1947 when John Bardeen, Walter Brattain, and William Shockley invented the point contact transistor. The invention of the transistor is regarded as the most important invention of the twentieth century and fanned innovations and inventions which revolutionized the electronics world and indeed our way of life. I’m proud to have been a part of this technological revolution . My friend the computer is but one product of this revolution. There are two other modern day phenomenon whose acquaintances I have yet to make; namely, the I-Pod and the I-Phone. The reason our paths have never crossed is that in spite of my love for new technology I have not been inclined to embrace these devices. The desire is just not there. I feel bad about this since I’m sure I have disappointed my grandchildren who always thought I was more hip ( that certainly dates me). On the other hand my spouse and my computer applaud my restraint.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

I am still learning how to do this blog stuff. Though I have complete control of an IPod...nothing new to learn there (and I love mine...definitely a gadget to get). I enjoyed the links. Maybe one day I'll be able to figure out how to do that...

Caroline said...

And I couldn't find the "german whiskered dude" anywhere....